Today is what is commonly being referred to in the media as Blue Monday, the most depressing date of the year.
The culmination of ongoing dreary weather, being hard up after Christmas and the anti climax following New Year is generally believed to contribute to a feeling of mid winter blues. If you're feeling a little under the weather today, you are not alone. Good news is at hand though - psychologists believe there are some simple ways to banish that Blue Monday feeling:
Top Tips to banish the blues:
1. Get that dream job! Work is where we spend the majority of our waking life, so if the idea of stepping out from under the duvet on a Monday fills you with a sense of foreboding, taking steps to get your next dream job might be all the tonic you need.
Steve Jobs famously said "You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle..."
2. Make the most of the light. Natural light helps stabilise serotonin and triggers endorphin, both mood-boosting hormones. See if you can get outside for at least ten minutes today. You could enhance the positive effects by combining your time outside with our next suggestion.
3. Take aerobic exercise. Any steady movement you enjoy—walking, jogging, swimming, cycling—boosts endorphins, and will leave you feeling calmer and happier.
4. Book something in your diary to look forward to. Whether its your next summer break or a much needed catch up with good friends, use today to make plans and get something organised that you'll look forward to. And make it soon!
5. Treat yourself. Whether its your favourite food for dinner, a long hot soak, or time with a good book - make some time for you today, or make sure you plan it for this evening!
Still looking for inspiration? Have a look at some of our current new job opportunities to get you started...